You’re in for a treat. Western Oregon is beautiful! Salem, the capital city, is found in the Willamette Valley between the Cascade Mountain Range and the Oregon coast. The YWAM Salem campus is set on 35 acres of partially wooded land and bisected by a quiet stream, and conveniently situated right off the interstate 5 freeway. We are located 15 minutes south of downtown Salem in a rural area of rolling hills, fir trees, and green pastures. Salem is a medium sized city with a safe, smaller town feel. We are only 4 miles from the nearest store and about an hour from Portland and the Oregon Coast!
The temperature stays moderate year round, but with definite seasons. September and October are often warm (from 55-70F), but November through February can be cold (from 20-50F). The springtime months of March through May are sunny and cool (from 55 to upper 60’s F). Summer begins gradually but June through August is pleasantly hot and dry (70-80F, highs reach the 90-100F). Most of the year, rain is a common part of our day; we have frequent rain showers that keep the Pacific Northwest lush and green.
Here’s our recommended packing list:
- Work clothes – old jeans, t-shirts, etc. (at least one outfit for outdoor work projects)
- Nicer set of clothing for church and other events
- Casual clothing – for class time and other events
- Modest pajamas (You will have roommates!)
- Rain attire – jacket/coat, umbrella, rain boots/waterproof shoes (October-June it rains frequently)
- Bedding – sheets (twin for singles/queen for couples), pillow, blanket or comforter
- Towel and washcloth
- Personal toiletries/Medicines (shampoo, conditioner, prescribed medicine, allergy, Tylenol, etc.)
- Cameras, laptops, reading devices (Kindle, iPad, etc.)
- Anything you use for personal hobbies (paints, sports equipment, musical instrument, etc.)
- Bible, books, journals, writing utensils
- Spending Money: There may be some additional costs after you arrive on campus. Some examples include: quarters to pay for laundry, and money to purchase personal toiletries/necessities, outreach gear, snacks, and entertainment.